Chiang Rai Attractions - Where to go and What to See in Chiang Rai

larger text smaller
Attractions
Historical Sites
Ancient Of Chiang Saen
Location : Chiang Saen District
Ancient Of Chiang Saen
Ancient Of Chiang Saen
is small district of Chiang Rai province and the Ancient City of Chiang Saen is one of the oldest settlements in the Kingdom of Thailand. It is located along the Mekong River. The residents of Chiang Saen have a very easy-going and peaceful lifestyle. Many of the residents live nearby one of the hundreds of ancient structures that once graced this city.

How to get there
Upon reaching Chiang Rai City take good route 1 all the way past the town center of Mae Chan and the turn right into route 1016 .The route take you near the Chiang Lake ,upon entering the city of Chiang Sean you will be met by the ring of Teak Tree that surround the city . Ancient structures that were once part of a vibrant city can still be observed and appreciate . Wat Phrathat Pha Ngao is located south of the city on route 1129 . Heading north along the Mae Kong River from Chiang Sean ( Route 1290 ) will take you to the Golden Triangle and Hall of Opium.

Opening Hours 09:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
Admission Free
Contact 0 5377 7081
Religious Sites
Wat Jedyord
Location : Mueang District
The word jedee plays an important role in the naming of this temple. Wat Jedyord is an elegant building with a seven-pointed jedee behind it. This temple is located on Jedyord Road toward the center of Chiangrai city. Chiangrai is rich in the aesthetics of ancient Buddhist temples, reflecting historical influences from both Sri Lanka and India, as well as the period in Thai history before the then separated kingdoms of Chiangrai and Chiangmai became part of the Kingdom of Siam, or Thailand, as we always seem to think of it. The city itself is worth a visit, but the temples will make your visit complete.
Wat Klang Wiang
Location : Mueang District
Wat Klang Wiang
Wat Klang Wiang
Formerly, the temple was known as Wat Chantalok due the the large Chan tree (Red Sandal Wood) that was located there. This is where the founding city pillar is located. A geological survey revealed that the temple was situated at the city’s centre-point, and a city pillar was erected inside the temple grounds and the temple was renamed "Wat Chan Lok Klang Wiang". In 1903, a severe storm brought the tree down onto the main prayer hall (ubosot), and assembly hall (wihan), leading to an unplanned but essential renovation. According to the plaque inside the gates, the name of the temple was thus reduced to Wat Klang Wiang "in respect to the people". In 1992 a chedi was built where the chan tree once stood. The statuettes of fully attired elephants stand around the base of the chedi. The main prayer hall was also rebuilt in neo-Lanna architectural style.

For those contemplating murderous acts in this vicinity, please take note that this is not permitted. In 1992, a new city pillar was erected to replace the old one which had long collapsed. A mondop topped with a spire was built to protect the pillar from the elements, with a statue of the mythical Guardian Angle (called Thao Chatu Lokaban) to protect the city’s birthplace according to Lanna beliefs.
Wat Ming Mueang
Location : Mueang District
Built in 1262 during the reign of King Mengrai The Great. His wife, Queen Devi Usapayako, ordered the 1st renovation of the temple and frequently made a royal visit to pay homage to the main Buddha statue enshrined in the temple’s wooden vihara. The temple is also a memorial to King Mengrai’ s mother, Queen Chommuang (aka QueenThep Kamkayai). King Mengrai is known to have visited the temple at least twice a year – once on the full moon night of Visaka, and the other on Loi Krathong day. In praying to the Lord Buddha, the King took a clockwise procession arounf the sacred pagoa in which his mothers ashes were kept.
Wat Ngam Muang
Location : Mueang District
Once there is only a shrine of King Meng Rai and built Wat Ngam Muang at the same place later. Wat Ngam Muang was built by Phya Sorn Ratchada Kong Ngern in 2032 B.E. Prince Ngam Muang of Chiang Saen restored it in 2220 B.E. after that it was left and ruined at last. In 2495 B.E. it was restored again.
Wat Phra Kaew Chiang Rai (Phra Kaew Temple)
Location : Mueang District
Wat Phra Kaew Chiang Rai (Phra Kaew Temple)
Wat Phra Kaew Chiang Rai (Phra Kaew Temple)
Wat Phra Kaew is also famous as the one of the royally endowed temple in this province. The abbot, Venerable Phra Dhammarachanuwat is the ecclesiastical head of all North Thailand. Wat Phra Kaew is the beneficiary of many donations of important religious art works from members of its parish making merit. Arguably being the most important temple in the province, this Wat Phra Kaew has received more than its share over many centuries. Since 2006 Acharn Supachai Sitilert, retired Deputy Director of the National Science Museum (in Bangkok) and Rebecca Weldon, a museumologist formerly based at Rai Mae Fah Luang, have worked through the temple’s vast storage of treasures to identify and research the holdings. Their initiative is now being supported by many monks based at the temple who are doing advanced studies in Lanna documentation, history and archaeology. Fortunately religious donations are usually very well documented (sometimes literally in stone), and the results of their efforts may be seen in a fine community museum inside the temple grounds.

The small selection on display is beautifully arranged to illustrate many aspects of religious art in Lanna over hundreds of years. Each item is labeled in Thai, English and Lanna. The literate in both Thai and English can ask for brochures giving much greater detail. There are also some secular items on display including the official uniform of Jao Rachawong Buarakot, which was appointed from Bangkok (1890s).

How to get there
The museum is located on Trirat Road across from Overbrook Hospital.

Opening Hours Daily from 09:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
Admission Free (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5371 1385, 0 5371 5875
Wat Phra That Doi Thong (Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong)
Location : Mueang District
Wat Doi Thong sits atop a hill above the northwest side of town, up a steep staircase off Kaisornrasit Road. This location where King Mengrai is believed to have chosen the site for his new Lanna Capital offers an overview of the town and a panorama of the Mae Kok Valley. The chedi of Wat Doi Tong containing what is believed to be the oldest Holy Relic was probably renovated at the same time that the town as being built. The circle of columns at the top of the hill surrounds the city's new lak muang (city pillar), built to commemorate the 725th anniversary of the city and King Bhumibhol's 60th birthday.
Wat Phra That Jomsak
Location : Mueang District
It was formerly known as Prathat Baan Yang and was constructed at the time when Chiang Saen was a bustling town several centuries ago. The monk called Putthakosa who also visited Chiang Saen during the time of Phrachao Pangkharat, the 25th ruler of the city gave a relic some to Jomkitti, some to Phrathat Doi Baan Yang, The monk called khruba Khamla restored the pagoda in the year 1947 and renamed it as "Jomsak Pagoda".
Wat Prasingh
Location : Mueang District
Wat Prasingh is an ancient temple built between 1345 and 1400, during the period of King Maha Proma of Chiangrai, brother of the King of Chiangmai at the same time in history. Among the attractions at this temple are a reproduction of the Pra Buddha Sinhingh, a Buddhist image from the Sukhothai period -- the original is in Chiangmai: a Sri Lanka-style building in wood and 'din Khou'' a bell tower with a brass bell in the northern Thai styles; a Bhoti Tree from India; and a stone Buddha footprint with ancient Khmer script believed to have been built during the reign of King Mengrai. Wat Pra Singh is located close to the boat pier along the Mae Kok River, which borders Chiangrai on one side.
Wat Rong Khun (White Temple)
Location : Mueang District
Wat Rong Khun
Wat Rong Khun (White Temple)
Wat Rong Khun or White Temple is very popular destination for thai tourist, it has unique beauty and is different from the other temples in Thailand. It was designed by the famous artist Ajarn Chalermchai Kositpipat, whose inspiration to build this temple are nation, religion and the king. The construction started in 1998 and is expected to be completed in 2008. In addition, there is a gallery nearby exhibiting his paintings. To get there from the city of Chiang Rai, drive north along Asia Highway.

How to get there
Wat Rong Khun isn’t far from Chiang Rai city, you can get there by bus or private car.

Opening Hours Daily from 06:30 am. - 06:00 pm.
Admission Free (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 053-673579
Wat Phra That Jommorkkaew
Location : Mae Lao District
About a hundred year ago villagers from this area went into the forest to collect food and they noticed a termite mound, which looked like a pagoda. They believed that this bound contains the remains of some very important person. A pagoda was built at this location and named it "Jommorkkaew Pagoda"
Golden Horse Temple
Location : Mae Chan District
Wat Tham Phra Archa Tong
Golden Horse Temple
Golden Horse Temple or known as in Thai “Wat Tham Pa Acha Thong” where the monks ride horses to go on their alms round in the morning. It is located in Tambon Si Kham on a remote high hill. Phra Khruba Nueachai, the abbot, who is a former cavalryman, therefore, allows the monks and novices to use a horse as a vehicle to go on the morning alms round, which begins around 7:00 am., to the village of Si Muen Rai, covering a total distance of around 5 km.

How To get there
Take Highway No. 1 (Chiang Rai - Mae Sai Route) for about 28 km, and pass Amphoe Mae Chan for about 4-5 km. Then, turn into a lane off the main road, beside Wat Mae Kham Luang, and follow the direction signs all the way to Wat Tham Pa Acha Thong for around 5-7 km. The road from the bridge to Lan Phra Kaeo (the ground for alms taking) is around 2 km long and accessible by car. The views along the roadsides are refreshing.

Contact Tel. 0 5366 5073
Wat Phra That Jom Wae
Location : Phan District
It was build by a Leader of Phukhamyao (now Phayao province) called Ngam Muang in the year 1296 AD. This leader was told to have gone up the Hill of Sang Kham (Which means golden bamboo) or Doi Jomvae to look at this domain. He then ordered his people to build a pagoda at that location. The legend says that inside the pagoda is a relic of the Lord Buddha.
Wat Phra That Pha Ngao (Phra That Pha Ngao Temple)
Location : Chiang Saen District
Wat Phra That Pha Ngao is about 4 kilometres from Chiang Saen on the road to Chiang Khong. There is a bell-shaped Chedi standing on large boulders. Nearby is a Viharn where several old Chiang Saen-style Buddha statues are enshrined. This hilltop temple offers a unique and spectacular view of the Mekong River, Laos and of Chiang Saen itself.

How to get there
Located 3km south of town in the village of Sop Kham.

Opening Hours Daily from 08:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
Contact Tel. 0 5371 7433, 0 5374 4674-5
Wat Phra That Chedi Luang
Location : Chiang Saen District
Next to Chiang Saen National museum is an ancient 88 meter high, bell-shaped, Lanna style principal chedi which has a 24 meter circumference base. Constructed in 1290 by King Saen Phu, the 3 rd ruler of the Lanna kingdom, it is the tallest religious Lanna monument in Chiang Rai. In addition, there are also remains of ancient vihans and chedis.
Wat Phra That Doi Pu Khao
Location : Chiang Saen District
Wat Phra That Pha Ngao
Wat Phra That Pha Ngao
Just two kilometres away from Chiang Saen Lake is Wat Phra That Doi Pu Khao which is believed to have been built by a king of Wiang Hirannakhon Ngoen Yang in the middle of the 8th century. This riverside temple near Sop Ruak Market is located on a hill just before the Golden Triangle and offers a spectacular view of the Golden Triangles riverine and mountain areas. The vihan and crumbled chedis are the only visible remains of antiquities today.
Wat Pa Sak
Location : Chiang Saen District
Located outside the city walls, approximately one kilometre to the west of Chiang Saen in Tambon Wiang is Wat Pa Sak, which used to be the resedence of the patriarch. When King Saen Phu built the temple in 1295, three hundred teak trees were planted hence the name Pa Sak (Teak Forest). With ornamental stucco motifs, the temples chedi, which is 12.5 meters tall with a base of 8 meters wide, is regarded as being one of the most beautiful examples of Lanna architecture in northern Thailand.
Wat Phra That Chom Kitti
Location : Chiang Saen District
Wat Phra That Chom Kitti sits on the top of hill alongside Wat Chom Chaeng, which is of more recent vintage. The most notable structure of Wat Phra That Chom Kitti is its crooked chedi, which contains a fragment of the Buddha relic that was split into three and divided amongst thesee sites, Wat Phra That Doi Chom Tong in Chiang Rai, and Wat Phra That Doi Tung in Chiang Saen.
Wat Sangkha Kaew Don Han
Location : Chiang Saen District
Situated not far away from Wat Phra That Chom Kitti is Wat Sangkha Kaew Don Han where sketches on brick slabs tell stories about the various reincarnations of the Lord Buddha.
Wat Phra Chao Lan Thong
Location : Chiang Saen District
Wat Phra Chao Lan Thong is located within the city walls. This temple was built by Prince Thong Ngua, a son of King Tilokkarat, the 12th Lanna ruler in 1489. A 1,200 kilogram Buddha statue with a lap width of 2 meters and height of over three meters was cast and named Phra Chao Lan Thong. Another statue called Phra Chao Thong Thip which is made of brass in the Sukhothai style was also cast.
Wat Phra That Jomjaeng
Location : Mae Suai District
Wat Phra That Jomjaeng is located at Mae Suai, Chiang Rai. The legend told about this pagoda that a traveling monk visited this area and handed over relics to the villagers who visited him. The villagers placed the relic inside the pagoda named it "Jomjaeng Pagoda" ( jaeng means dawn)
Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan
Location : Mae Suai District
Wat Sang Kaew Photiyan is a new temple construction 2010 east of the village of Ban Pa Tong Nam, Mae Suai district, Chiang Rai province.
Wat Phra That Doi Wao (Phra That Doi Wao Temple)
Location : Mae Sai District
Wat Phra That Doi Wao is situated in Mu 1, Tambon Mae Sai, on the hill by the bank of the Mae Sai River. According to history, King Wao of Nakhon Nakkhaphan Yonok built this pagoda in 179 BC to contain the Lord Buddha’s hair relics. It is a great ancient pagoda second to Phra Borommathat Doi Tung.

How to get there
Located on Mae Sai hill.

Contact Tel. 0 5373 1527
Wat Tham Pha Chom
Location : Mae Sai District
The temple is in the west of Doi Wao [mountain]. Go to the west by the road, where is beside the boarder gate, along the way about 500 meter. This temple has a cave; there is an old stupa and Lord Bhuddha image inside, and a natural viewpoint of Maesai - Takeelek.
Wat Phra That Jomjor
Location : Thoeng District
It has been told that the Lord Buddha once traveled to Suwanaphoum. One of the places he visited was located along the Ing River near present day of Thoeng. A Naga or sacred water serpent visited the Lord Buddha and gave him three gifts. Phra Anond, a close follower of the Lord Buddha asked him to give the Naga one of the Lord Buddha's hairs. The Naga took this hair and told the leader of the town to construct a pagoda and named it "JomJor Pagoda"
Wat Phra That Doi Tung
Location : Mae Fah Luang District
Shin Maha elements located in the Chao Khun Nam Nang, lying on his chest. Huay Krai is located in Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai. Muang District, Chiang Rai, Doi Tung is located a distance of about 46 km to the contents of the Rakkwany. (I left collarbone) on construction of a pagoda containing relics of this time. Tgtakab which has made the city known as the Tung language. Panwa embroidered on the long summit. If the bulge is defined as a blow to the city where the pagoda. For this reason, the enshrined relics of this mountain is called Doi Tung. The Phra That Doi Tung is an important sanctuary of Chiang Rai. At the festival to worship Phra That Doi Tung in the third lunar month, people from both Thai and foreign travelers to pay homage to the prosperity for the people born in the Year of the Pig. Phra That Doi Tung, tourists can see as far as the Doi Tung is situated high above sea level, over two thousand meters.
Wat Phra That Jomphor
Location : Wiang Pa Pao District
is located on a hill at Wiang sub -district of Wiang Pa Pao, Chiang Rai. There is no record of when this site was constructed but it is estimated some in 1720 AD. It was being restored in the year 1979, during the restoration process, they found a silver plate with some inscriptions.
Palaces
Doi Tung Royal Villa
Location : Mae Fa Luang District
Doi Tung Royal Villa
Doi Tung Royal Villa
The Doi Tung Royal Villa was the first residence of Her Royal Highness Princess Srinakarindra, the Princess Mother, built under her supervision, Her Royal Highness Princess Galyani Vadhana, gave the architects a concept of simplicity and multi-functionality for the Royal Villa. Construction started on December 23, 1987 with a traditional northern Thai ceremony (Called "Pork Sao Huen") of erecting the main house pillar.

How to get there
from City Chaing Rai on Route 110 and then on Highway Km. 870-871 Total Distance is 17 km.

Opening Hours 07:30 am. – 05:30 pm.
Admission 70 Baht (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5376 7001, 0 5376 7015-7
Monuments
The King Mengrai the Great Memorial
Location : Mueang District
The King Mengrai the Great Memorial
The King Mengrai the Great Memorial
The King Mengrai the Great Memorial is located in the town on the intersection leading to Mae Chan. Originally, King Mengrai was the ruler of Nakhon Hiran Ngoen Yang (an ancient town on the bank of the Mae Khong around Chiang Saen) before Chiang Rai was established as the administrative centre in 1262. He consolidated his power by merging the different city in the North and founded the Lanna Thai Kingdom in 1296 with Chiang Mai as the capital.

How to get there
It is located in the town on the intersection leading to Mae Chan.

Opening Hours Daily 24 hrs.
Contact Tel. 0 5371 7433, 0 5374 4674-5 (TAT)
Ku Phra Chao Meng Rai
Location : Mueang District
Situated in Wat Ngam Muang, on Ngam Muang Hillock, this stupa contains King Mengrai's ashes and relics.
Museums
Oub Kham Museum
Location : Mueang District
The collection embraces objects used in the royal courts such as Lanna court, Khum Chao Phare and khum Chao Chiang Mai some parts are from northeast Myanmar, southwest China and Vietnam which are about 500-1,000 years old. Admire 120 year-old ancient fabrics, Sin Mai Kham-golden silk skirt-from the Mandalay, the golden throne, king’s golden costumes and silver ornaments. A golden bowl used by royals, is a masterpiece. All of those shown the glory of the kingdom in the past.

How to get there
Located at 81/1 Na Khai Road, Tambon Rob Wiang near Den Ha market, 1 kilometre from the centre of town.

Opening Hours Daily from 08:00 am. - 06:00 pm.
Admission Adult 300 baht, Child 100 baht (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5371 3349
Hilltribe Development & Welfare Centre
Location : Mae Chan District
15 kilometres along the route to Doi Mae Salong, the centre aids and administers local hilltribe settlements. Hilltribe handicrafts, including woven cloth and silverware, are on sale.
Chiang Saen National Museum
Location : Chiang Saen District
Chiang Saen National Museum
Chiang Saen National Museum
Located in old town Chiang Saen, this museum exhibits artifacts excavated locally including a well-known Chiang Saen-style bronze Buddha image and Lanna Thai artifacts. Inscription stones from Phayao and Chiang Saen itself can be found in the museum. In addition, there are exhibitions of indigenous art objects of the Thai Yai, Thai Lu and other hill tribes. These items include musical instruments, ornaments and opium-smoking accessories. The museum is open on Wednesdays through Sundays from 09:00 am. to 4:00 pm., except on national holidays.

Opening Hours Wed - Sun 08:30 am. - 04:30 pm. Closed on Mon - Tue and National Holidays.
Admission 30 Baht (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5377 7102
Hilltribe Museum and Education Center
Location : Mueang District
Hilltribe Museum and Education Center is located on Thanalai Road. Operated by the Population and Community Development Association - Chiang Rai Branch, the museum provides a slide presentation on ways of living and displays articles, tools, utensils, and tribal attire. It also gathers interesting information on six major hilltribes of Thailand: Akha, Lisu, Karen, Muser, Yao, and Hmong.

How to get there
Located on Thanalai Road in Chiang Rai city.

Opening Hours Daily from 09:00 am. - 06:00 pm.
Admission 50 Baht (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5374 0088, 0 5371 9167
Exhibition Centres
Hall of Opium, Golden Triangle Park
Location : Chiang Saen District
Hall of Opium or Golden Triangle Park is 9 km northwest of Chiang Saen. This place exhibits the history of opium in the Golden Triangle, its origin, opium war when people lived on opium planting and smoking, as well as the recovery of the people who lived here. Visitors can learn this history and the problems caused by narcotics through EDUTAINMENT.

How to get there
The Hall of Opium is situated in Chiang Saen District, opposite the Anatara Golden Triangle Resort and Spa.

Opening Hours Daily from 08:30 am. - 04:00 pm.
Admission 300 Baht (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5378 4444-6
Public Parks
Somdet Phra Srinagarindra Park
Location : Mueang District
This park has beautiful scenery and a shady atmosphere, comprising a wide lotus lake on a area of 223 rai. The all-year round full lake is best suitable for recreation since the water is cool and clear. It is surrounded by recreational pavilions and gardens of palm and bamboo trees on the slope of a hill. Next to the park is the School of Traditional and Alternative Medicine of Chiang Rai Rajabhat University, which provides health care based on traditional medicine of Lanna wisdom.
Natural Attractions
Mae Fah Luang Art & Cultural Park (Rai Mae Fah Luang)
Location : Mueang District
Mae Fah Luang Art & Cultural Park or Rai Mae Fah Luang are important architectural buildings of Chiang Rai Province. Ho Kham is a teak building where ancient wood-carved candle holders are exhibited, and Phra Phrato, an ancient wooden Buddha image of the Lanna period is housed. Ho Kham Noi keeps the so-called Wiang Ta mural paintings from Wat Pa Wiang Ta in Phrae. Many plants found in the park area are of fragrant varieties and rare species.

There is also a bronze statue of HRH the Princess Mother sculptured by Khun Misiem Yipinsoi. Furthermore, an open museum is available for a temporary display of artworks and other functions. Initially, the park area was used for Wai Sa Mae Fah Luang, a ceremony to pay homage to HRH the Princess Mother.

How to get there
It is situated one kilometre from the Oub Kham Museum.

Opening Hours Daily from 08:30 am. - 05:30 pm.
Admission 300 baht (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5371 1968, 0 5371 6605-7
Travel along Kok River
Location : Mueang District
Mae Kok River
Mae Kok River
The Kok River is one of the most scenic attractions in Chiang Rai. It runs from Thathon in northern Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai City. Kok River flows through the town of Chiang Rai and is 130 kilometres long. Long-tailed boats and cruise can be made from town to travel along both sides of lovely sceneries. Stops can be made at hilltribal villages of the Akha or Iko, Lisu, Karen, etc. Elephant rides are also available to see the surrounding area.

How to get there
The ferry pier is beyond the bridge across from the Dusit Island Resort.

Admission Trips range from 300 bahts to 700 bahts ($7-$16), depending on the number of stops made. (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5375 0009, 0 5371 7433, 0 5374 4674-5
Haad Chiang Rai
Location : Mueang District
Haad Chiangrai or Chiangrai Riverside has a beautiful scenic view over Kok river. North of the sand beach is adjoined by limestone mountain. Many tourist come here for swimming, relax, massage, and find many local food restaurant on the riverside.

How to get there
Haad Chiangrai located at Ban Pa Ngew, Moo 4, Tambon Robwiang, 4 kilometers from Chiangrai city.
Huai Mak Liam Hot Spring
Location : Amphoe Mueang
20 kms far from the city of Chiangrai. This hot spring is come from the nature heat beneath the world, which has hot water to bob up all time. When brought the eggs into this hot spring about 30 minutes, the flavor of the boiled egg will better and more delicious than normal boiled. This waterfall is appropriate for night visitor to put up the tent in the beautiful night.

Admission Lam Nam Kok National Park, Mueang District
Par Tung Hot Spring (Huay Hin Fon Hot Spring)
Location : Mae Chan District
Located at Ban Par Tung Moo 11, Tambon Par Tung, Amphoe Mae Chan, Chiang Rai that between the way to Doi Mae Salong (New road) on Highway No. 1089 (km.78). The tourist can take about 8 kilometres from Mae Chan District and has beautiful tropical scenery.
Huay Mae Sak Waterfall Forest Park
Location : Wiang Chiang Rung District
Located in Man Tok Pattaya Village, noo7; Tung Kor King Sub-district, Viang Chiang Rung District, Chiang Rai Province, suited in Pah Huay Sak national Reserved forest and eastern Mae kok River forest, covered the area og approximately 2,800 rais. The Royal Forest Department declared this forest park on May 8,2002.

Huay Mae Sak Waterfall is approximately 480 metres above the average sea level. It's one floor waterfall which is about 15 metres trees and beautiful scenery.

How to get there
From Chiang Rai town, you can take the highway no. 1233 pass Vieng Chai District to Lao Charoen Village. It takes 34 kms long. After that take the Krom Yothathikarn Road southwards to Lao Charoen Village and then to Nam Tok Pattana Village. This will take about 6 kms. Later, drive further on the dirt road for 2 kms long, to reach the forest park. The distance from Muang District of Chiang Rai to Nam Tok Huay Mae Sak Forest Park is totally 42 kms.

Activities Mineral water bath - Water Traveling
Nang Phaya Pang Cave
Location : Pan District
Nang Phaya Pang Din Fai is a cave located on the way to Wang Kaew Waterfall. The cave is not quite deep and the cave wall is decorated with limestone stalactites. There is a small hill on the walk way before you reach the cave.

Administered by Doi Luang National Park, Pan District
Golden Triangle
Location : Chiang Saen District
Golden Triangle
Golden Triangle
Golden Triangle is a famous attraction of Chiang Rai, your trip would not be complete without seeing the Golden Triangle. This famed border location where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar meet on the Mekong River was once supposed to be the center of all the poppy cultivation in Thailand.

Travel approximately 9 kilometers north of old town Chiang Saen, along the road parallel to the Mekong River to the area where the borders of Thailand, Myammar and Laos converge. This area where the Mekong River meets the Ruak River is locally referred to as "Sop Ruak". Within this area are remains of many ancient places and structures attesting to the fact that the area had been settled by people in the past. It is also the area where various legends concerning the Lanna ancestors originate.

Boats can be hired in order to view the upstream scenery of the Golden Triangle and to travel downstream to Chiang Khong. The trip to the Golden Triangle and Chiang Khong would take approximately 40 minutes and 1 hour respectively, depending on river currents and water levels.

How to get there
Far from Mae Sai District about 28 km by taking Highway No.1290

Contact Tel. 0 5371 7433, 0 5374 4674-5
Chiang Saen Lake
Location : Chiang Saen District
Drive five kilometres south of Chiang Saen , along Highway No. 1016 (Chiang Saen-Mae Chan route), take a left turn and you will find Chiang Saen Lake: a large natural reservoir with scenic surroundings. The lake is home to large flocks of migratory waterfowls which are most plentiful and can be seen at their best from November through February. In addition to the scenery, accommodations and water sports facilities are available.
Pong Fu Fueang Hot Spring
Location : Mae Suai District
About 1.8 kms from the crossroad of Mae Suai-Chiangrai Land highway. There are 2 hot spring wells in this place with about 75oC.

Administered by Lam Nam Kok National Park, Mueang District
Khun Nam-Nang Non
Location : Mae Sai District
Located 12 kilometres before reaching Mae Sai Community Centre along a 2-kilometre spur road, natural rock formations resemble a reclining female to give the tree shaded area its name.
Fish Cave ( Tham Pum Tham Pla)
Location : Mae Sai District
Located 1 kilometre north of the Sleeping Lady Lagoon, and 1.8 kilometres from Highway No. 110, these caves are known for their spectacular interiors.
Sao Hin Phayanak Cave
Location : Mae Sai District
Located within a few hundred meters from the Reed & Fish Caverns, this cave is regarded as being especially beautiful thanks to its multi-colored rocks.
Pha Chom Cave
Location : Mae Sai District
Located 2.5 kilometres west of Mae Sai, this cave is noted for its beautiful stalactites, and as a place of meditation.
Doi Pha Mon Agricultural Center
Location : Thoeng District
Doi Pha Mon is located at Amphoe Thoeng. During the winter months visitors are treated to splendid flower bed s of tulips, lilies, red salvia, poinsettias, etc. To get to Doi Pha Mon from the city, go along Highway No. 1020, then take Highway No. 1155. The journey takes approximately 2.5 hours.
Doi Mae Salong
Location : Mae Fa Luang District
Doi Mae Salong is located at an elevation close to 1,800 meters, it is one of the highest peaks in Chiang Rai and far-reaching panoramic views. When the mist comes, the views change dramatically, especially at sunrise or sunset. The air is crisp, cool and refreshing all year round.

Doi Mae Salong is the site of Santi Khiri village, a community settled by the former Chinese 93rd Division who moved from Myanmar to reside on Thai territory in 1961. The village became well known for its enchanting scenery and tranquil atmosphere. Today it is a major tourist attraction with its small-town ambience, delicious native Chinese dishes, small hotels and guesthouses catering to visitors and tea, coffee and fruit tree plantations. The scenery is especially picturesque in December and January when sakuras are in full bloom. Scattered with many hill tribe villages, Doi Mae Salong is ideal for trekking.

From Doi Mae Salong a road leads to Tha Thon, the starting point for the Kok River cruise, a distance of 45 kilometers. There are hotels and guesthouses to accommodate tourists and a paved road leading to the village.

How to get there
To reach Doi Mae Salong, take the Chiang Rai-Mae Chan route for 29 kilometers, then turn left and proceed for another 41 kilometers (passing a hot spring). The return trip can be taken on routes no. 1234 and 1130 which wind through Yao and Akha hill tribe villages.

Opening Hours Daily from 08:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
Admission Free (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 53717433
Doi Tung
Location : Mae Fa Luang District
Doi Tung is a popular destination both Thai and foreigner because of beautiful scenery with many interesting sites including the Doi Tung Palace (Pra Tamnak Doi tung), the Mae Fa Luang Garden and Akha and Muser tribal villages. IN addition to scenic lookouts, the most notable attraction is the Phra That Doi Tung Holy Relic, an old religious site atop the mountain.

Also located on Doi Tung Mountain is a beautiful royal residence known as Phra Tamnak Doi Tung. The royal villa, situated on the slopes of the adjacent Pa Kluay Reservoir, was to serve as a royal winter retreat for the Princess Mother, who passed away in 1995 and was originally built on the theory that the local hill tribes would be honored by the royal presence and thereby cease their opium cultivation.

The main attraction for visitors to Phra Tamnak Doi Tung is 'Suan Mae Fa Luang', the beautiful landscaped gardens filled with hundreds of different kinds of plants and flowers, named in honor of the Princess Mother and the Doi Tung Development Project established by the late Princess Mother in 1987.

How to get there
Doi Tung is located in Mae Fa Luang District and can be reached by taking Highway No.110 for about 48 km and turning left onto Highway No. 1149.

Opening Hours Daily from 07:00 am. - 05:30 pm.
Admission Free (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5376 7015-7 Phu Chi Fah
Phu Chi Fah
Doi Hua Mae Kham
Location : Mae Fa Luang District
Doi Hua Mae Kham is the domicile of the hill tribes near the Thai-Burmese border, about three hours by road along the Mae Chan-Ban Thoet Thai-Ban Huai In route which winds along the steep mountain edges. The inhabitants are predominantly of the Lisu tribe, with a smattering of the Akha, Hmong and Muser tribes. Doi Hua Mae Kham is most spectacular in November when the yellow wild sunflowers are in full bloom.
Doi Lahnga
Location : Wiang Pa Pao District
At just over 2,031 meters, majestic Doi Lahnga is Thailand’s fifth highest peak. The trail to the top of Doi Lahnga enable visitors to see many spectacular views of Khun Chae National Park, and the surrounding area. Doi Lahnga and its many sister peaks are located on the extreme southern boundary of the park, adjacent to Jae Sawn National Park and Mae Dahkry National Park.

Administered by Khun Chae National Park, Wiang Pa Pao District
Doi Mot
Location : Wiang Pa Pao District
The trail to Doi Mot passes through a spectacular wet evergreen forest. A lush, dense, multiple layered forest covers a clear cool pond, surrounded by a thick growth of ground plants including epiphytic and ground orchids, ferns, mosses and other plants that love shade and a wet environment. The top of the mountain, at 1700 meters, affords spectacular views of the forests and landscape of the surrounding area. Visitors can see Chiang Mai Province to the west, Chiang Rai province to the east, Doi Lahnga in the south and to the north, Doi Phangome.

Administered by Khun Chae National Park, Wiang Pa Pao District
Doi Pha Ngom
Location : Wiang Pa Pao District
Doi Pha Ngom is a mountain range in the middle of the area that lies west to east. There is an erected cliff protruded to the west and has montane forest mixed with mixed deciduous forest in which appropriates for recreation, trekking, and enjoy seeing scenery.

Administered by Khun Chae National Park, Wiang Pa Pao District
Baan Haad Klai
Location : Chiang Khong District
Marks the Chiang Khong area where the freshwater plabuek catfish, which can attain lengths of 2.5 meters and weights of 300 kilogram, are caught between April 18 and early June each year.
Baan Haad Bai
Location : Chiang Khong District
25 kilometres along the Chiang Saen - Chiang Khong raod, this Thai Lue community is best known for its hand woven cotton. Doi Pha Tang
Doi Pha Tang
Phu Chi Fah
Location : Thoeng District
Phu Chi Fah is located in the Pa Mae Ing and Pa Mae Ngao National Forest Reserve. The area is 1,200-1,628m above sea level. Phu Chi Fah is a favoured attraction with Thai tourists, who will visit on November to January to experience the cool weather. The cool climate produces colorful flowering shrubs and the large meadow on the top provides breathtaking views of Laos. In addition, spectacular scenery can be seen from the sheer cliff of Phu Chi Fa, especially the sea of mist at sunrise. Visitors can stay overnight at Ban Rom Fa Thong and Ban Rom Fa Thai.

The mountain is a favoured attraction with Thai tourists, who will visit in droves during the months of November to January to experience the cool weather.

How to get there
Phu Chi Fa is approximately 25 kilometers to the south of Doi Pha Tang in Thoeng District.

Opening Hours Daily from 08:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
Admission Free (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5371 7433, 0 5374 4674-5
Doi Pha Tang
Location : Wiang Kaen District
Doi Pha Tang, about 160 kilometres from the provincial town, is a viewing point on top of a high cliff over the Thai-Laotian border affording a delightful scene for the river and the sea of mist throughout the year. During December-January, blooming Sakuras provide a picturesque scenery. It is home to the Chinese Haw, the Hmong and Yao minorities. The Haws are the remnants of the 93rd Chinese Division who moved in to settle on Doi Pha Tang. There are a lots of bungalows & tents serve tourists.

How to get there
Doi Pha Tang is situated in Chiang Rai province, the northern most region of Thailand. It is about 160 kilometers from Chiang Rai city and only 25 kilometers north from Phu Che Fah.

Opening Hours Daily from 08:00 am. - 04:30 pm.
Admission Free (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5371 7433, 0 5374 4674-5
Other Attractions
The Sirindhorn Chinese Language and Culture Center
Location : Mueang District
The Sirindhorn Chinese Language and Culture Center in Mae Fah Luang University. This was established through the cooperation of Mae Fah Luang University and the People’s Republic of China. The center was built as a memorial to honor Her Royal Highness Princess grandmother’s 100th birthday as a symbol of friendship between the two nations. The center’s design was drawn to adhere as depicted in China. The construction took 7 months to complete at cost approximately 60 million Baht. The architecture replicate the Suzhou Chinese structure, building decorations and the garden ornaments by complying with the design layouts and using authentic materials shipped from China. The roofing tiles, the doors and the marble tiles laid at the entrance are all examples of a few of the materials brought from China.
Laan Tong Mekong Basin Cultural Park
Location : Mae Chan District
Located at 99 M.13, KM 12, Taton- Partung Rd., Tambon Partung Amphoe Mae Chan See the beauty of nature surrounding with forest and plenty of beautiful flowers. Amazing with the largest gong in the world, watching the 6 grand nations performance. Historical with ethnic group of Mekong Basin, refreshing with our waterfall. Fulfill your desire with delicious foods at Laan Tong Mekong Basin Cultural Park.

Opening Hours 08:00 am. – 06:00 pm. (Thai Arts and Culture Performances since 11:00 am. and afternoon since 02:00 pm.)
Mae Sai
Location : Mae Sai District
Mae Sai which is about 62 kilometers from the provincial seat on Highway No. 110 is Thailand's northern-most district. Mae Sai borders on Myanmar's Tha Khi Lek marked by the Mae Sai River with a bridge spanning both sides. Foreign visitors are allowed to cross over to Tha Khi Lek market by presenting their passports and paying a fee at the Mae Sai immigration checkpoint. In addition, there are tour services to Chiang Tung in Myanmar, which is approximately 160 kilometers north by road.
Pamee Akha Village
Location : Mae Sai District
This picturesque village is one of the most accessible Akha settlements in Chiang Rai province and is located on the way to the summit of Doi Tung.

Opening Hours 06:00 am. - 06:00 pm.
Contact Tel. 0 5345 0107-9 ext 9
Mae Chang Khao Reservoir
Location : Wiang Pa Pao District
Mae Chang Khao Reservoir near Station One provides a relaxing setting for anglers an picnickers looking for a different twist. Picnickers ride out into the middle of the lake on a bamboo raft and enjoy their meal in the quiet and peaceful atmosphere of a freshwater lake.

Administered by Khun Chae National Park, Wiang Pa Pao District
Wiang Kalong
Location : Wiang Pa Pao District
Wiang Kalong, a newly-developed tourist attraction, is a community about 16 kilometres from the district office of Wiang Pa Pao. Ancient furnaces which were used to make terra cotta utensils called Kalong have been found in this area. The furnaces are shaped like turtle shells of various sizes with a width of 2 to 5 meters. To get there from the city, drive south along the Divided Highway No. 1 for 8 kilometres then take a right turn onto Highway No. 118 to Wiang Pa Pao (approximately 75-80 kilometres). For those wishing to travel from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai via the Doi Saket Highway No. 1014, it is highly recommended to stop over at Wiang Kalong as it is on the way to Chiang Mai.
Chiang Khong
Location : Chiang Khong District
Chiang Khong is a border to Laos and many tourist travel through Chiang Khong on the way to Laos or back. Some stay longer, and it's worth to do so. Because, despite lacking big tourist attractions, the place is a nice, laid back one and has a beautiful surrounding. The people are generally very friendly and helpful. They consist mostly of trible people who settled down here together with Thai people and some Thai Chinese.

You can have a longer walk along the Mekong River banks, where it is quiet and some restaurants and guesthouses offer their services. The river walk is a great opportunity for relaxation, especially after long bus trips.

At the mainraod, South of the border-crossing are some smaller Restaurants and Pubs, where you can easily meet other travellers. Also some of the river bank Restaurants are quite nice to have a beer in the evening, as Khum Wang Restaurant or Baan Pung Rim Khong, where one can enjoy the view over the river apart from the mainroad.

How to get there
Take the bus from the bus station in the city of Chiang Rai.

Contact Tel. 0 5379 1351, 0 5371 7433 (TAT)
Elephant Camp - Ruammit Village
Location : Mueang District
Karen Ruammit village is one of tourist attraction in the city of Chiangrai for tourist who love nature, adventure and the cool of the Body River, to help relieve the summer heat and it is famous for elephants riding around hill tribes villages. The main route of elephant riding trip is to visit hill tribe villages and get back to elephants camp by wading Mae Kok River.

How to get there
By Bus : Take a bus line Chiangrai-Mae Yao or hire a taxi at the Municipal Market to Karen Ruammit village.
By Boat : There are long-tailed boats available at Mae Fah Luang Bridge.

Opening Hours Daily 08:00 am. - 04:00 pm.
Contact Tel. 0 5379 1351, 0 5371 7433 (TAT)
Wana Horse & Ostrich Farm
Location : Mueang District
The Wana Horse and Ostrich farm is one interesting destination to spent a great time with the family. There are rabbits, small horses, sheep, ducks and many beautiful ostriches. Both adult and children can feed the animals, touch them and even ride on top of them. The environment in farm full fill with cowboy soft music and staff very friendly. However you can have some food in this farm and price not too high.

How to get there
Located on 9 Mu 6 Chiang Rai-Thoeng Road, Ban Hua Doi, Tambon Tha Sai. Not too far from the Bus Station.

Opening Hours Daily from 09:00 am. - 08:00 pm.
Admission Free (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 5377 4878, 08 9635 7233